Sunday, March 25, 2012

Finished Project: The Dublin-sweater

Before I begin, perhaps a little story about how I became the proud owner of this beautiful vintage sweater. A week or two ago, my Other Half went to Dublin with one of his best friends for a mid-week. Usually, I don't like it when he's gone, but when it means that I'll get a 'brandnew' vintage piece, I can definitely cope with it! So when he first called me and asked me my size, I advised him not to buy it. Because you really need to try it on before you buy it. Especially when he thought it would be too small.

OH has a mind of his own and he bought it anyway. Turns out that the vintage sweater he bought me wasn't too small at all! I almost drowned in it! When I tried it on, he was a bit disappointed. In his head, I looked fabulous in it but in reality, some work needed to be done. So I seated myself behind my sewing table and got to work!

I altered 3 things: I added a dart at the sides and took about 2 inches (5cm) in on either side. I also altered the sleeves: 1 inch at the sideseams of the sleeves and at least as much at the 'armpit'-part. For my very first alteration on an existing piece of clothing - a knitted one! - I must say that I did a pretty good job. What do you guys think of it?

Left: Before
Right: After

 

No comments:

Post a Comment