Saturday, April 28, 2012

Finished Projects: The Green Dress

It took me a week longer than I had planned, but I finally finished it! Vogue V8766! I did spend a lot of time altering it: nothing 'big' though. When I first tried it on, it seemed that the dress was wearing me instead of the other way around! So, I took it in: made the darts in the front longer and bigger and the one in the back longer. My upperbody must be smaller than the average person, because I had to take several inches from the length. After those alterations (and two muslins) I thought it was OK to try it for real. Guess again. Last minute, as I was putting in the zipper, I decided that I had to take in the back some more. So I took 3 cm (about 1 1/4 inch) away at the top and gradually let it end in 0. I have to admit, because I did this at the last minute, the dress isn't even. The back runs slightly more down than the front. But who cares? It's not like I'm not learning, right?

Anyway, I still need to dismiss those 3 cm from the pattern. Apart from these alterations, the dress came togehter very quickly. Everything lined up very nicely. The only thing I regret, is the kind of fabric I used. Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of it and the drape, but it was a hell of a job sewing it! Apparently my sewing machine isn't one to sew very thin fabrics with. Even double layered, it didn't transport the fabric! So, as a result, my fabric constantly shifted from one side to another. Eventually I ended up adding a lot of pins just to get the fabric transported thru the machine. All in all, I'm very proud of myself. It still could use some perfectioning, but I'll leave that for next time, when I'm making the dress I'm going to wear to my friend's wedding.

Now, I had planned for the dress to be finished last weekend. But the zipper wasn't coordinating with me, so at first, that took me a little longer. Then I decided I wanted to use a contrasting biais binding instead of one from the same fabric. I had some pale yellow ones in my stash and was delighted with them. They really give that extra to the dress. Of course I didn't have enough of it! Especially because I ended up putting it at the bottom of the skirt instead of hemming it. So, last thursdag, I went to the shop and bought 3m (about 3.28 yards) biais binding. Alas, it was still not enough! I was surprised at how much biais binding this dress demanded! So today I went to the shop again and bought me another 3m! Guess what? I only have 45 cm (17.7 inches) left! More than 5,5m ( 6,01 yards) biais binding!!! How stunning is that? I dare say that the dress is wide enough.

But, enough chit-chat, ready to see some photo's? My fabulous new shoes and that yellow belt really make this outfit, don't you think? My Other Half and I are going to this event (The red star museum ballroom opening) tonight, and is there a better dress for me the wear than this one? I mean, look at that swing!



2 comments:

  1. Great spirit! Glad I found you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you found me too! :)

      Delete