Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Secrets

I'm working on a super-secret, but oh-so-exciting project! I thought I would give you all a little sneak-peak so you all get curious and want to know what I'm doing. A tip? It's brandnew.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Clever Links: October 10, 2012

Patternmaking. Something I look forward to, but also shy away from. Nothing is as gratifying as making your very own pattern and clothes or adjusting an excisting pattern until you have something totally different. There are a lot of tutorials and explainations to be found on the internet. Some of them I've shared with you in an earlier stage, some have been on my list to share for ages. So today is the time to finally share them with you:

For starters, there is Pattern Meda4You. This is a program you have to pay for if you want to use it. With this program, you are able to digitalize your patterns and send them to a (professional) publisher. Pattern Made4You also has a free section in wich you can choose a basic pattern, enter your sizes and it'll alter the pattern for you. So you don't have to do all the calculations and time-consuming parts of adjusting a pattern!


Pattern Made4You

This is a Dutch site. Not only modern companies offer their knowledge or programs, some people who did their job years and years, also offer their knowledge on how to make your very own pattern. Simon Wilkens shares his know-how with you thru this site. With the ever uselful drawings, this 92-year old patternmaker takes you on his journey on how you can achieve this. His method is tested by years of teaching and answering questions. He used those questions to decide what to learn you first and how he explains it.

This site is a Dutch site. Still, it's very useful when you're Dutch and want to sew an English pattern. As is the trouble with all languages, sometimes translations can vary according to the use of the words. This site helps you translate the English (or Dutch) sewingterms in Dutch (or English). They're alphabetically ordored, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding the right word in the list.



Monday, October 8, 2012

A long anticipated post

Alright, so this post went up a few days later then the original dutch post did, but still: Here it is! The long anticipated blogpost about the dress I wore at my friend's wedding.


I've spend at least 3 months designing this dress. First of all, I made my green dress as a first try to see how the dress would fall. AlI had in mind to make this the top lace dress. Alas, my other half saw the green dress, of wich I'm still a fan, and decided that he absolutely didn't like it. So I abandonned my original idea and went looking for another dresspattern.


Luckily, by then the Cambie Dress pattern from Sewaholic had arrived and I saw the perfect opportunity in it: this would become the dress I would wear to the wedding! I started with good spirit and the red and yellow dresses were the fruits of my labour. When I finished the dress in the fabric I planned to wear at the wedding, I was a bit dissapointed. No, I'm lying: I was very dissappointed. It just wasn't the way I imagined it. All my hard work for nothing. Although, I have to admit that it was mostly my own fault. There was something wrong with the shoulders, I sewed the lace and gold fabric togehter before I sewed the dress. The dress looks better in the pucture than it does in real life. At this point, I just wanted to give up and buy myself a dress. With just a week before the wedding, this was very appealing. But, I sticked to it and still made my own dress. This time I combined the two dresses (Vogue and Cambie), fusing the best parts of both into one dress.


I started with the Vogue dress and deepened the neckline so that it was at the same level as the neckline of the cambie dress. I also used the cambie dress to alter the buste for a better fitting, I cut the shoulders a bit smaller and took 15cm (about 6 inches) off the skirt. I first sewed to dresses: one in lace and one in gold. Then I sewed them together at the neckline and shoulderseams. I sewed a few stitches at the waist to keep the lace dress from shifting. I'm really happy with how this one turned out and there is a plan to sew another (winter)dress from it.

Oh, before I forget: this is the dress for my challenge from august.