Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Cordova Pattern

Do you remember this post? I'm finally allowed to blog about 'my' secret! It's been hard not to tell you guys, but I managed not mentioning anything in the last few posts even though I'm super-excited about this one! So without further adieu:



In october I got the chance to do something marvelous and new (to me): Pattern Testing for this nice lady! She's made numerous patterns (9 this year!) in the short time her patternbussiness excists and I've been craving to be one of her pattern testers. No doubt you know her, because I've blogged about it on occasion (just look here).

Pattern testing was a new experience for me. I was honored and flattered to get selected for the testing: I've never sewn a jacket before, nor do I think of myself as a very experienced seamstress. So, with a lot of courage and a bit of nerves, I started sewing. ANd i have to admit: The Cordova Pattern doesn't dissappoint!

It's simple, beautiful and easy to sew if you've never sewn a jacket before. Although I have to admit that at some point, I was at a loss. I couldn't figure out what to do even with the illustrations and the text. But that's why it's called pattern testing, isn't it? So the designer knows what could be better and where she might have to make some changes in her illustrations or explanations. The problem was purely a translating problem: The sewing terms in English aren't the same as the ones in Dutch. Mostly, this isn't a problem for me, because I'm used to sewing with English sewingterms. But if you come across a term you've never heard of before and try to make the best of it with the illustrations, sometimes it just doesn't work out. As was the case with this one. Luckily, I was able to detect my fault and correct it. Eventually everything ended up as it should've.

At first, I just wanted to sew the version without the double peplum. But while I was sewing my muslin, I decided that I wanted to make the double peplum. It was just too cute to resist! Oh, and I didn't have to alter anything about the pattern. It is a bit wide overall, but it's a jacket, so it has to be wider. I did started sewing a size 10 instead of a size 12. If I based it on my measurements, I should've gone for size 12, but after looking at the finished measurements I decided that size 10 would be more then enough. I can still fit into it while wearing a nice, warm sweater.

Since I've sewn this jacket, I wore it several times untill the weather got to cold over here. But sundaynight I couldn't resist showing off at a family party and just had to wear it! I figured that I wasn't going to spend a lot of time outside (just the walk from the car to the front door and back), so this would be sufficient enough with a nice scarf. And boy, am I glad I did! I got a lot of compliments from the people who saw my jacket! Do you want to make one yourself? Just hop on over to Sewaholic!





PS: This is my garment for the Challenge of October. I wasn't able to blog about it earlier because of all the discretion. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment