Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Finished project: the white dress

It's time to reveal my second, third and fourth project that I sewed this summer. 3 at a time because they are the same dress, made multiple times. The pattern was a simple, but elegant, free burda-pattern: Danielle 9306

There are 2 reasons why I made this dress three times. The first time I made it, it was simply perfect. Untill I decided I wanted to paint the chaircushions red. I immediatly started to work on them, whilst wearing the dress. After I'd opened the paint and was ready to paint the first cushion, I thought to myself: Better to get out of the dress so I don't spoil it. So I went and put something different on. Alas, the damage was already done. When pulling out the dress, I haden't noticed that there was paint on my fingers... I'd just ruined my favorite dress! So I had to make another one. That dress is still in my possession, as perfect as in the beginning!

The third version was made for a very good friend of mine. She saw the dress and asked if she could have one to. Normally I don't sew for friends - I'm afraid I don't sew well enough for that - but it was an easy project and she deserved it, so I made the dress for her. The fabric I used was similar to mine, but I wanted both dresses to look similar and yet be unique. :-)

Now, let's talk about the changes I made. The bust was perfect from the first try. I didn't have to alter anything, wich doesn't happen very often; I didn't even have to move the points of the darts! The changes I did make, were to shorten the skirt by about 10cm (4"), to get to a flattering length. I also decided to alter the sleeves. I wanted a capsleeve instead of the original puffy sleeves. All the edges where finished - except for the hemline - with matching biaistape. 

The results? A dress I plan to make at least one more time, but probably will end up sewing a couple of times! 

Ps: ofcourse there is an 'underdress' ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment