Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Christmas Capelet

Yes, the cat wanted some attention too :-)

Last week I was on a sewing spree. There's just no other word for it. I made 2 skirts, 1 blouse and 1 capelet in 1 week! Never before was there such a sewing operation going on at Allynara's! The first skirt - the Tartan Circle Skirt - was blogged the same day I finished it. Now it's time for the second one: the Capelet.


This capelet came to mind after a brainstorm session on one of the Facebook-groups I follow. After sewing the circle skirt I was left with 1,5m of this Tartan fabric. But what to make with it? One of the members suggested making a cape out of it, another suggested a bolero. The cape-idea really stuck with me. The next day, the cape was finished!
 

Pinterest was my go-to inspiration. Rhonda Buss and Project Run and Play - this and this Pin - were my biggest inspirations - aside from the vintage ones like this, this, this, this and this. The capelet itself is a simple circle skirt, 48cm long and the hole in the middle is about 11cm if I'm not mistaken. After cutting I slashed one side to make the front. Because I didn't want too look foolish and avoid overkill, I decided to make the capelet reversible. After all: a Tartan skirt and Capelet would be a bit too much, don't you think? The red side will be worn with the skirt, the Tartan side can be worn with something else.

With the sleeves turned up, it dances on the line with over-the-top and cute.

After fitting, I decided it wasn't as elegant as I wanted to. That's when Rhonda Buss' pin came to mind: the thing I liked about her cape is the fact that it's wrapped around the wiast. So you get the full sleeves with your nice figure. I went back to the sewing machine and sewed 2 more buttons. The buttons - the ones from the sides and the ones in front - are fabric-covered with some leftover fabric. This makes them blend in and pop out.


If I ever made another capelet - you never know - I wouldn't go for a full circled one, but more 3/4th or something This because this one has a little too much 'bounce' at the shoulders. Aside from that, I'm very happy with this one!

The downside of turning autofocus off and forgetting about it. But It gives you an idea of the self covered buttons.
Soooo, you guys still haven't seen the blouse (worn in the pics above, but not visible) and other skirt. Keep an eye on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment