Friday, July 28, 2017

The Cyan Cocktail Dress

Today's post will be a short one. This dress is a true TNT-pattern (Tried and True): it's the 5th time that I've made it! So, if you're curious about the pattern, check it out here and here.

For my sister's wedding - one month after my own - I needed a new dress. 3 days before I decided I wanted to make it myself. To spare me the trouble of adapting a new pattern, I went with a classic for me. The Danielle Dress is classy and depending of the fabric it is perfect to wear to more formal occasions. I used fabric from my stash - stash-busting, anyone? - and purchased a matching zipper. 2 days later, this dress was ready! Oh, the joy of using a well-known pattern!

After that, I wore it to one other occasions: our National Holiday with a tribute to our veterans and people who are still in active duty. Really liked it and on both occasions I felt very classy, paired with a red purse and red shoes.


Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Laneway Dress - V1: Wearable Muslin



So, I know it has been a while since I blogged anything over here. I have been sewing lately, but no projects that I deemed succesful enough to put here. If you wonder what I have made, be sure to check out my Instagram of Facebook!

Aside from failed sewing projects, there are a few other reasons I didn't blog since January: I quit my job and started somewhere else, I had 3 (!) weddings to attend to in 1 month, including my own and my younger sister's. Those who got married will know that weddings take lots and lots of planning, especially those last few months. I wanted to make my very own paper flowers to decorate the room and fabric flowers to decorate the church. Oh, how I hated myself and those flowers! My dress was divine (check Instagram ) and I loved everything about my wedding. But I'm glad it's over and I'm able to focus back on sewing.


So far for the recap of the latest and greatest. Now, back to the stuff that matters! Last week, I finished the Laneway Dress from Jennifer Lauren Handmade. It is a classic A-line dress with an interesting collar that gives you a vintage vibe. I really loved the fit and how easily it came together. The only 'downside' to this pattern, was what fabric you needed to cut the pieces out. Every pattern piece just said 'fashion fabric' of 'interfacing',. But the collar was best made with a contrasting fashion fabric. Although a more experienced sewist might know this beforehand, I usually just do what the patterns tells me to do first time round. A small side note for a otherwise perfect pattern.


The pattern comes with different bust sizes (A - D). I really loved this, since I didn't have to do a FBA (full bust adjustment). I did have to shorten the back with 1 inch (2,5cm) - as usual - and I shortened the waist with 3/8 inch (1cm) - a little less than usual. I'm not sure if I brought the waist up enough. It looks good when I wear it, as you cannot see my tummy, but I'm used to the waist being on my natural waist, not 3/8 inch (1cm) to 5/8 inch (1,5cm) below it. Aside from that, I need to take in the shoulders 3/8 inch (1cm). But that's all I did when I adapted the pattern - which truly isn't much. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

I'll be making at least one more of this, perhaps even 2. This is a new TNT (Tried-and-True) pattern, I absolutely love the overall feel of it!


Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A very Tree Blouse


Because I simply didn't have time, it took me 2 weeks to blog about my latest make. The last part of my Vintage Pledge 2016 was finished on the very last day of the year: December 31!



The pattern has been lying around cut out and ready to go for a while, but my Birthday Dress and other projects that I have yet to blog about, has put this one on hold. I used Butterick 5015 in size 16 (bust 36 inches) and was planning on making view B. It looked a bit like a Polo and I thought it was more interesting than just a blouse. I ended up making view A with short sleeves because I forgot to follow the instructions for view B and ended up making view A. Because I didn't want to use my seamripper, I left it at that and am happy I did!


Thanks to the release pleats in the front and back, this blouse fits me perfectly. A few years ago I made 3 other blouses with the same or similar technique. And I have to admit: I fell in love all over again. This technique lets the fabric drape as it should around your body without all the hassle of normal pleats. Waaaaay easier with the same beautiful results. This technique was also used for the back, with it's advantages: you are able to move around without feeling restrained when you reach for something. Last but not least: there are some darts at the shoulders to give a proper shaping to the front and back


As far as alterations go: I didn't do any! Next time, I will take 1 cm (aprox. 3/8") at the highest point on the shoulders and shorten the back a bit. But yet again: Vintage patterns seem to be made especially for me! Very easy and satisfying to make. Even though I do like to adapt a pattern and make it my own, sometimes I get frustrated by the time it needs. Perfectionist Me and Impatient Me in a clinch :-)



Concluding: Even though I'm still in doubt with my fabric choice, I looooove this pattern!