Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Laneway Dress - V1: Wearable Muslin



So, I know it has been a while since I blogged anything over here. I have been sewing lately, but no projects that I deemed succesful enough to put here. If you wonder what I have made, be sure to check out my Instagram of Facebook!

Aside from failed sewing projects, there are a few other reasons I didn't blog since January: I quit my job and started somewhere else, I had 3 (!) weddings to attend to in 1 month, including my own and my younger sister's. Those who got married will know that weddings take lots and lots of planning, especially those last few months. I wanted to make my very own paper flowers to decorate the room and fabric flowers to decorate the church. Oh, how I hated myself and those flowers! My dress was divine (check Instagram ) and I loved everything about my wedding. But I'm glad it's over and I'm able to focus back on sewing.


So far for the recap of the latest and greatest. Now, back to the stuff that matters! Last week, I finished the Laneway Dress from Jennifer Lauren Handmade. It is a classic A-line dress with an interesting collar that gives you a vintage vibe. I really loved the fit and how easily it came together. The only 'downside' to this pattern, was what fabric you needed to cut the pieces out. Every pattern piece just said 'fashion fabric' of 'interfacing',. But the collar was best made with a contrasting fashion fabric. Although a more experienced sewist might know this beforehand, I usually just do what the patterns tells me to do first time round. A small side note for a otherwise perfect pattern.


The pattern comes with different bust sizes (A - D). I really loved this, since I didn't have to do a FBA (full bust adjustment). I did have to shorten the back with 1 inch (2,5cm) - as usual - and I shortened the waist with 3/8 inch (1cm) - a little less than usual. I'm not sure if I brought the waist up enough. It looks good when I wear it, as you cannot see my tummy, but I'm used to the waist being on my natural waist, not 3/8 inch (1cm) to 5/8 inch (1,5cm) below it. Aside from that, I need to take in the shoulders 3/8 inch (1cm). But that's all I did when I adapted the pattern - which truly isn't much. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

I'll be making at least one more of this, perhaps even 2. This is a new TNT (Tried-and-True) pattern, I absolutely love the overall feel of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment