Right after I finished my wearable muslin on the Laneway Dress from Jennifer Lauren Handmade, I started sewing my second version of this pattern. Did I mention that I really, really love this pattern? Jennifer has a keen eye on flattering garments with a vintage flair. Aside from the Laneway Dress I purchased the Gable Top a couple of months ago, to give knit fabric another chance. After a few projects that I just didn't wear (like this and others I never blogged about) and even fewer that I do wear (like these 2), I sort of have a love-hate relationship with knits. Yep, I love knitting and creating beautiful sweaters and the likes, but when it comes to sewing with knits... I just don't know... but with clear instructions from the Laneway Dress, I'm looking forward to sewing the Gable Top.
But let's get back to the Laneway Dress: I really love this pattern. After the muslin I wanted a plain version with a contrast collar and 2 buttons so all the beautiful details could be admired. And yet again: I loved it! Except for the poor fabric choice: the pink cotton shone a bit through, so I decided to underline it, but did a bad job at that. I wanted to wear it as soon as possible, so I rushed it a bit, thereby stretching both layers, with some bulk as a result. Luckily, it's not really that visible to the unpracticed eye ;-)
This time I shortened the waist with another cm (3/8 inch) and narrowed the shoulders by 1 cm (3/8 inch). On the muslin, I noticed the release pleats being a bit too high, so I also shortened them with 1 cm (3/5 inch). So the only real adaption I did to this pattern, was lowering the release pleats under the bust. The other adjustments (adjusting the waist placement and the center back) are changes that I always need to do, so those don't count.
I'll say it one more time: I love, love, LOVE this pattern! Onto the next one!